So, you went with a whole house humidifier - That is good news. You will save money buying one unit over spending a lot of money buying several portable units. Buying a humidifier that attaches to your furnace is a smart move. You protect your family and personal property in one shot.
You may even save on your energy bill as well. Using several portable humidifiers can raise your electric bill. Now that you saved money, your only problem is to hook it up to the furnace.
Our how-to guide will give you all the instructions you need to accomplish that. It is not as difficult as you may think. But first, we will talk about the advantages of owning your new furnace humidifier.
Advantages Of Whole House Humidifiers
Every product has its advantages. The furnace humidifier is no different. It has great advantages over the portable humidifiers, both the cool mist and the warm mist varieties. Here are some of the advantages to going with a furnace humidifier :
What You Need To Know About Installing a Furnace Humidifier
Materials & Tools Needed
How To Install a Furnace Humidifier
Don’t feel bad, everyone needs a little help installing a new product in their home. This is so when you want to save money and do it yourself. It is not a bad thing to want to do it yourself. Just follow the instructions and you will be able to install a furnace humidifier like a pro.
#1. Creating The Hole & Attaching The Mounting Plate
- 1Locate the spot on the furnace that will be the best place to install your furnace humidifier.
- 2Mark the hole for the humidifier, using the templates provided.
- 3Drill a starter hole and then use the tin snips to cut the vent.
- 4Now place the mounting plate over the newly cut hole and drill screw holes.
- 5Attach the plate to the furnace using the sheet metal screws.
#2. Mounting & Installing The Humidistat
Repeat the process above
- 1First, mark the hole where the humidistat is to go.
- 2Second, cut the hole.
- 3Third, attach the mounting plate drilling the necessary holes and using sheet metal screws.
- 4Fourth, attach the humidistat to the mounting plate.
- 5Fifth, wire the humidistat to the furnace.
An important note you must follow - make sure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how to do this.
#3. Installing The Humidifier
- 1Connect the wires of the humidifier to the solenoid of the humidistat (use the right size of wire nuts for safety).
- 2Connect your humidifier to the hot water line - there are two ways to do this. You can either cut the water line and install a T fitting or use a saddle valve.
You see, it is very simple. You can do it without too much trouble. Now if you need to install a bypass vent, here are the instructions.
- 1Find the spot on the furnace to attach the bypass vent.
- 2Use the template to mark the hole.
- 3Drill a starter hole and cut out the hole with tin snips.
- 4Install the round collar in the hole.
- 5Measure the distance from the hole to the humidifier intake.
- 6Cut to length - Just make sure you do not cut the length too short.
- 7Attach elbows to the vent pipe then attach the vent pipe to both the furnace and the humidifier.
That is all there is to it. Simple, easy and economical. Once you have attached your furnace humidifier you can now enjoy the benefits of the unit.
The Benefits Of a Best Whole House Humidifier
How To Choose a Whole House Humidifier
Choosing a humidifier that attaches to the furnace is not as hard as one may think. If you follow the following tips you will find the task very simple and easy.
Some Final Words
How to install a furnace humidifier is simple. Just follow the instructions and you should be okay. If you have any questions or are not sure what to do - just ask. It is better to ask questions than to install the humidifier incorrectly.
One comment on “How To Install a Furnace Humidifier”
How will I know if I need a bypass vent?